
Everyone is entitled to dream. To dream big, to feel the adrenaline of staying alive. Buffett lived his dream and also mine. I thought of distributing my wealth when I am old as Buffett and only sufficient amounts to my children. I stopped talking to friends about this as they would reply "You siao ah".
Personally, I am not a person easily swayed by other people's opinions. I lived my own life and so do they. It's easy to fall victim to the symptom I call "commander", giving orders on how others should live their own life.
That is really what I wanted to do, if I ever to be as successful as Warren that is. Success is relative. Just do your best.
Buffett has for decades declared his intention to donate his wealth to philanthropy unlike his friend Mr Willam Gates. I think I can relate to why that is so. A measure of wealth is how long you can substain your current lifestyle comfortably without any form of active income.
Have you ever wondered why the poor remained poor? Because they are poor. Huh ? You may say but let me elaborate on it. Let say you have less than $1000 dollars in your bank account or say less than $500 in your bank.(if you are those in below $500, hey you are donating $2 to the bank on "admin" charges, $2*12 = $24 ; $24/$500 * 100% = 4.8%P.A!! and assuming principal of $500 throughout. The bank is never going to offer you that rate even for your FDs. Compounding it and well be you know maths dont you.) I bet you would not even care a hood to fork out that $600 dollars for say the lastest phone in the market. But why? That is because to be rich, you had to feel rich first. To be rich is not what many imagined to be, living lavishly and using sharkfin for brushing teeth. In fact what I observed from rich pals are they are just like you and me but only that they can afford the occasional lavish treats. Deep down they are really misers, like the Uncle Scrooge. Haha. When you are there, you want to maintain at that wealth level and feel motivated to earn more and keep the number of digits running. You feel miserable when you over spend on somethings. Maybe Buffett overdone the feel rich factor. (shrugs shoulders)
The government recently released a new series of personal finance education program on Channel U. Quite a decent attempt at least, but not good enough. Action is the keyword, involve the people that really need it, not just celebrities.
Warren and all other successful people in life did one thing, enjoy doing what they like to do. I wish I could do that too, I know I can.
Take this with you from the Sage of Ohama,
"I Know what I want to do, and it makes sense to get going"
~ Warren Buffett
“为何指纹只长在手心而不是在手背,那有可能是老天爷要我们把命运掌握在手里“
Video Links:
Cheers
Niversphere.
Friday, July 07, 2006 | Posted by Norman Oh at 9:03 PM |
Personal Thought Inspired By Buffett's Act Of Charity
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yo Niversphere, same thoughts as my hubby & I!
Dun care wat ppl say lah! Our wealth wat! we worked hard to accumulate it, so we can do whatever we want with it. I bet, deep down in their hearts, those ppl are saying, give to me leh!!!
Cheers!
A really ego-less act by Buffett. He doesn't really care about leaving a name for posterity, and would rather leave his money to a foundation which he feels can do more useful work, rather than to his own foundation which was already in existence.
An Asian would never have done what he did. Methinks his children would kill him if he did that! The father-to-son wealth legacy is very strong here.
Post a Comment